Certificate Program Requirements
The GSI Teaching & Resource Center is accepting enrollments in its Teaching Certificate Program from UC Berkeley graduate students beginning Fall 2012. All preparation-for-teaching activities that qualify for Teaching Certificate requirements must commence in Fall 2012 or later.
Certificate requirements completed prior to Summer 2016 can be seen on the GSI Preparation for Teaching page in GLOW. Current certificate completion records will be reflected on your CalCentral, My Dashboard page at a later date.
- Participation in the all-day Teaching Conference for First-Time GSIs at UC Berkeley
- Successful completion of a 300-level course on pedagogy that has been approved for the Certificate Program in the relevant discipline
- Successful completion of the GSI Professional Standards and Ethics Online Course
- Participation in six qualifying Workshops on Teaching
- At least two semesters of teaching as a GSI at UC Berkeley
- GSI classroom teaching observation by and consultation with a faculty mentor
- Development of a course syllabus that you have designed
- Use of mid-semester teaching evaluations
- Creation of a teaching portfolio
- Certificate checklist (must be filled out and submitted with teaching portfolio)
If you are a graduate student at UC Berkeley and want to begin the Certificate Program, please complete the Certificate Program Enrollment Form.
(It is important to note that the UC Berkeley Certificate of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education is not a primary or secondary teaching credential. For information on educational credentialing, please refer to the programs offered by the Graduate School of Education, described at http://gse.berkeley.edu/academic-programs.)