Certificate Program Requirements
The GSI Teaching & Resource Center is accepting enrollments in its Teaching Certificate Program from UC Berkeley graduate students beginning Fall 2012. All preparation-for-teaching activities that qualify for Teaching Certificate requirements must commence in Fall 2012 or later.
- Participation in the all-day Teaching Conference for First-Time GSIs at UC Berkeley
- Successful completion of a 300-level course on pedagogy that has been approved for the Certificate Program in the relevant discipline
- Successful completion of the GSI Professional Standards and Ethics Online Course
- Participation in six qualifying Workshops on Teaching
- At least two semesters of teaching as a GSI at UC Berkeley
- GSI classroom teaching observation by, and consultation with, a faculty mentor
Sample original syllabus that includes learning objectives, week‐by-‐week assignments, coursepolicies, and basis for evaluation accompanied by narrative course rationale.
- Use of mid-semester teaching evaluations
- Creation of a teaching portfolio (Submit your portfolio and checklist as one PDF document using this online form.)*
- Certificate checklist*
*Portfolio and Checklist must be submitted as one PDF document by November 15 for review in the fall semester and by April 15 for review in the spring semester. Portfolios will only be reviewed twice a year.
If you are a graduate student at UC Berkeley and want to begin the Certificate Program, please complete the Certificate Program Enrollment Form.
(It is important to note that the UC Berkeley Certificate of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education is not a primary or secondary teaching credential. For information on educational credentialing, please refer to the programs offered by the Graduate School of Education.)